Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Peer Reflection

This is in response to Susan's blog post on March 7 "Teach to the Test??? Sure, why not?"

This post struck a chord with me, because I can understand both views to the argument of teaching to the test.  On the one side, I believe like Susan stated, that teachers are already teaching to the test, we just don't call it that.  On the opposing view, I think if I cover the curriculum, and teach to the best of my ability, then my students will do well on the NJASK regardless of me teaching specifically to the test.

The one thing that I definitely concur with Susan on is teaching students the vocabulary of the test.  I think that it is important to teach the vocabulary, so that when the kids take the test, they will be able to comprehend the directions and complete the test to the best of their ability.  For example, just this week, I introduced the word "speculate" to my class.  They need to know and understand this term for the NJASK writing prompt.  Hopefully, when the test date arrives they will understand the word and be able to produce a well written document.

1 comment:

  1. mr.j i followed you on blogger on deep thoughts. BEST FOURTH GRADE TEACHER EVER!!!!!! joshua aalampour.

    ReplyDelete