Wednesday, April 29, 2009

How long is too long?

      Sometimes I question myself when assigning something and requiring a specific length.  For example, I might give a five paragraph essay to my students.  After giving assignments with length requirements, I ponder, "Why?"  What if the assignment is filled with fluff?  What if less is more?  On the other hand I know that some students would take the easy way out if I didn't have a preset minimum/maximum length.
      Then I think about essays that I write for graduate school.  Set lengths really agitate me.  I believe that as an adult as long as you fulfill the requirements of the assignment, there should be no set length.  Often, less is more!!
      Therefore I've come to the conclusion that for most young individuals having a set length is beneficial, but once a student reaches the college level, he/she should be permitted to be succinct.

No comments:

Post a Comment