Thursday, February 12, 2009

Addressing Parent's Concerns Over Tests

If a parent ever came up to me and said that I spend too much class time "teaching to the test," I would respond in the following manner. First I would tell them that I follow the curriculum set forth by the district. Then I would inform them that testing is a part of education and that students need to become accustomed to the different types of tests they will have to take throughout their life. Next I would state that I use the tests to gauge student's progress and understanding of specific concepts. Another thing I would say is that I use the test information to help me decide what areas I need to review and concentrate on as well as helping me plan for the rest of the year. If a parent continuously questioned my teaching I would tell them (after discussing it with the administration) that they are more than welcome to come in and visit my room while I'm instructing the class.