Friday, January 30, 2009

State Testing

I just wanted to say that I truly dislike state testing. While I fully understand the merits behind the Iowa tests, Cats, or any other state test I believe that one test should not be weighed so heavily by education.

What if the student has a bad day?
What if the student can't concentrate?
What if something else is on their mind (i.e. a death in the family)?
What if the student "mentally shuts down" on tests?

There are TOO MANY what ifs. I understand that it is important to use the data to help guide curriculum, but I think it is more of a disservice to the students. Not to mention the overwhelming burden on the teachers' shoulders. Sometimes administration puts way to much pressure on his or her faculty to do well on standardized tests.

Guess why they put so much pressure on the teachers for the students to perform well?
Answer: MONEY (so that the school district can get more funding)

A few final thoughts:

I will continue to do my best as an educator and teach my students to the best of my ability. I will continue to develop professionally to help benefit my students. I will continue to strive for excellence--even on the state testing.

But--if a teacher is truly a good teacher, he or she should simply continuing doing what they are doing and STOP WORRYING about "teaching to the test."

1 comment: